- IllicitEncounters.com, the UK’s leading dating website for married people, saw 72% of all female signups between Friday and Sunday cite their husbands’ obsession with the football as their main reason for wanting to cheat
- There was a 61% rise in site usage compared to an average, out of season weekend, peaking at two hours before and two hours after the start and conclusion of Saturday’s match between England and Russia
- 35% of the weekend’s female signups admitted to wanting an affair because their partner would rather watch football than have sex
- 20% said that football provides them a good opportunity to cheat
- A further 25% said that their partner becomes “unreasonable” when watching football
Thousands of ‘football widows’ have taken to the internet in search of an affair in the wake of the European Championships.
IllicitEncounters.com, the UK’s leading website for married people, has surveyed their new female signups between Friday 10th and Sunday 12th June, with almost three quarters (72%) citing the European Championships, or rather their husbands’ obsession with it, as their main reason for joining.
The site also reported a 61% rise in site usage compared to an average, out of season weekend, which, rather unsurprisingly, peaked between two hours before and two hours after the start and conclusion of Saturday’s match between England and Russia.
Christian Grant, spokesperson for IllicitEncounters.com, commented:
“A mid-summer weekend in June is generally an out of season period for us, so these results should provide a wakeup call of sorts to the millions of football fans across the UK.
With three games a day for several days, and the involvement of all our home nations with the exception of Scotland, we can be quietly confident these numbers are going to maintain this level over the next few weeks or so.”
Of the women who signed up between Friday and Sunday, 35% claimed they had done so because their partner chose football over sex.
A further 25% claimed that their partner becomes “unreasonable” during football, while 20% said that they used the European Championships as the perfect distraction to sign up to the site.
“With nine months of domestic football having only just come to its conclusion, another month of constant neglect, with other sporting events such as Wimbledon and the Olympics following shortly after, is proving to be the final straw for thousands of women.”
Rosie, 38, said:
“When the football is on, my name is only mentioned because of the occasional request for beer and snacks, or if my husband has used me as a punchline to a joke so he can impress his mates. Other than that, I might as well be invisible.”
NOTES TO EDITOR
IllicitEncounters.com is the UK’s leading and longest running dating site for married people. With over 1,000,000 genuine UK users since 2004, you’re sure to find your perfect match.
Established in 2004, we have been providing a meeting place for like-minded married and attached people for nearly 10 years. Our members have one thing in common – they are all looking for a little romance outside their current relationship. Whether that’s the occasional bit of flirtatious chat, a regular coffee date, or a full-blown affair, that’s up to them.
For comments, case-studies or more information, contact Christian Grant: