- There’s a positive correlation between the value of the property someone lives in, and the likelihood that they are a cheater or have been cheated on themselves
- People marry for money, not love, which leads to an unhappy marriage once the charm of living a luxurious lifestyle wears off
- The most adulterous town and borough in the UK are unsurprisingly two very affluent areas (High Wycombe and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)
- The research was conducted by IllicitEncounters.com, the UK’s leading dating website for married people.
If you’re looking on enviously at your friend’s semi-detached house in a leafy suburb, here’s a silver lining for you: they’re more likely to be cheated on (or be a cheater themselves).
That’s according to IllicitEncounters.com, the UK’s leading dating website for married people, who surveyed over 1500 of their members. From their research IllicitEncounters.com were able to conclude the following:
- 4% own a property worth between £200,000 – £300,000
- 11% own a property worth between £300,000 – £400,000
- 11% own a property worth between £400,000 – £500,000
- 13% own a property worth between £500,000 – £600,000
- 18% own a property worth between £600,000 – £700,000
- 20% own a property worth between £700,000 – £800,000
- 10% own a property worth £800,000 or more
- 13% don’t own a property
Spokesperson for IllicitEncounters.com, Christian Grant, explains: ”Under the right set of circumstances, anyone can have an affair, and while an affair is wealth agnostic, there’s certainly some key links between a person’s disposable income, specifically the property they own, and the likelihood of them having an affair.”
One of those links is the proportion of people who marry for money and not love.
“While the terms ‘sugar daddy’ and ‘gold digger’ can come across as derogatory, when you dig a little deeper, you’ll find that there are some nuggets of truth in there,” says Grant. “The lure of money can be hard to resist, but there’s only so much that it can do,” he adds. “While the initial charm of living a comfortable or luxurious lifestyle wears off, you’re left with one person in the relationship, if not both, unhappy with the situation that they’ve found themselves in.”
It’s an idea that’s corroborated by the Infidelity Index. Released last month, the Infidelity Index revealed the most adulterous towns in the UK, with High Wycombe and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea topping the list for the most adulterous town in the UK and most adulterous London borough respectively.
“It was of little surprise to us to see that two very affluent areas topped the Infidelity Index this year,” adds Grant.
“Money can buy a lot of things, but love and happiness? Maybe not.”
NOTES TO EDITOR
IllicitEncounters.com is the UK’s leading and longest running dating site for married people. With over 1,000,000 genuine UK users since 2004, you’re sure to find your perfect match.
Established in 2004, we have been providing a meeting place for like-minded married and attached people for nearly 10 years. Our members have one thing in common – they are all looking for a little romance outside their current relationship. Whether that’s the occasional bit of flirtatious chat, a regular coffee date, or a full-blown affair, that’s up to them.
For comments, case-studies or more information, contact Christian Grant: